Thursday, June 4, 2009

Anxious Moments by Kim Smith

Today I went to the gym to work out. It was a little rough to say the least. The baby pooped twice back to back so in a 10 minute span I had to go to the day care twice. As I was about to leave, I had to get warm water for the bottle. I went to their break room to use their microwave. Well, I didn't know how to use it because it was a new microwave. I had to ask the guy that works there, which I didn't want to do because he was a big burly dude and I felt stupid for not knowing to operate a stupid microwave. Of course the first thing he said was, "All these kids and you don't know how to operate a microwave." Now, he had a smirk on his face, so I didn't know if he was mocking me or just being a guy. Then he continued to state how I have my hands full. I think all this talk made me really anxious and I started to get nervous about every move I made, like he was watching to see how I was going to mess up next. Well, I did not disappoint. I took the bottle of water out of the microwave to put my baby bottle in it and the water spilled out on my hands to totally burn me. I tried to not make a huge reaction, but MAN DID THAT HURT! I could not even imagine what he must have been thinking now. I just looked like a royal clutz and a idiot. As, I walked out I was trying to get the stroller out of the door and slam me in the process, but Elijah was looking down at his Jedi Knight Legos to get slammed on his head by the door. Yes, it was a shining moment in my mommy history. I just thought to myself, "We need to get home before I make a bigger spectacle of myself!"
All this made me realize that from the moment people see a woman with more than one kid, people are going to expect you to do stupid things. I feel like most of the time I have got it together, but today made me realize that maybe I don't. I guess this is why mothers stay home more than going out. Not to ridiculed by passers by.

5 comments:

Ms. Natalie said...

That's so messed up that people think that. You should ask people what number they are in their sibings and when they say 2 or 3 you say, "Yeah, maybe your mom should have stopped at one, too!"
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH...BURN!!!! That was a good one. Remember that one Natalie!!

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear you had a rough time. Even sorrier to hear people are retarded. If I were the type to flip people off, that guy would have been on the receiving end for sure. :)

Michelle and Nathan said...

At least you were working out! I didn't even get that in today!

Sean Smith said...

Hey Babe,

I think what you call anxiousness was really attraction. Come on, you thought that big brawny guy was so Hot... So you played dumb so you could talk to him and then after you talked to him you came unnerved and you were like some teenage little Twilight fan who just met Robert Patterson for the first time!!!OMG!! OMG!!! OMG!!!
*Snicker* So was I closer to the truth????;-)

Melissa said...

Just a friendly reminder that exercise is not fun its a chore! by the way..what gym do you use?