Monday, June 15, 2009

My Life as a Seminary Teacher

I remember the call like it was yesterday. I got the call from Brother Bassett about a calling that I honestly never thought I would even consider getting. SEMINARY! Are you kidding me? I never went when I was a teenager and they expect me to teach it. I felt so inadequate and not right for it. I talked to my dad about it because he taught it for a year himself. He told me it was the hardest calling he had ever had. Great! I have to agree with him. It was the hardest year of my life. I had just had Julianna a year before and I thought they were crazy for asking a mom of two little ones to get up at 5:00 am to go and teach a bunch of youth about the gospel. I was convinced that they would hate me. What teenager likes the seminary teacher at 6:00 am. I had my thoughts of saying no, but my father always taught me to say yes to any calling from the church. This is the Lord's call and I am not to say no to any calling that he extends to me. It is for my greater good. So, I accepted and I must say that it was the best thing I have ever done. The reaping of the rewards came almost daily as I got to feast upon the words of the Doctine and Covenants. Church History was always an interest to me, so having the year to study it deeply was way awesome. Teaching it was even better. I do have to admit that the preparation took a major toll on my family more specifically my marriage. I always felt so much pressure to perform for these kids that my sweet husband was neglected and for that reason I decided not to continue at that time. It was a pretty easy choice to make, but there were times that I felt a emptiness in my heart. I missed the connection I had with my kids. If I could have taught the same kids the next year, I think I might have thought twice about not doing it. They were amazing.
D&C 4 Each one of them got their own mission call and replayed the MTC experience. After this day, I felt that we really broke the ice and made memories.






Last night I was able to see 6 of my kids graduate seminary with one of them with 100% attendence all four years. (Kelly) I was so touched with their testimonies and talks. I feel so honored to have spent a whole year with them. I know that each of them are going to do amazing things in their lives. I definitily reaped the rewards of my year of Seminary last night. Congrats to my Sweet Adrianna, Zach, Jenna, Kelly, and Gretchen. You are ALL AWESOME!






1 comment:

Francais Frit said...

I can't believe they would have you teach that calling with a new baby as well, crazy.