Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Cure


Today at church, Julianna was being so difficult. I was having a real hard time keeping her quiet. Usually she can be settled somewhat easily, but today she actually was crying loudly that I had to take her out in the foyer. She was still loud that even being in the foyer was too much embarrassment for me, so I took her into the mother's lounge. Thank goodness for that room. I was able to sit her secluded to just us and I had her cry her brains out and still listen to the talks that were given. As I watched her cry her eyes out, I just thought to myself how hard it is to be a mother. It has so many moments that you just want to pull out your hair because in all reality, you don't really have any control over your child's thoughts. You have to figure out how to handle every situation so carefully so you don't screw them up. I did have a couple of moments of weakness as I had to force her on my lap to have an effective time out. But, I asked myself, what kind of mother do I want my daughter to have? Do I want to be a drill sargent or someone that shows love through discipline? That of course it obvious. I want to be the kind of mother that goes outside the box and finds way to calm them down by taking the road less traveled. I don't want to resort to anger and do things I will regret seconds later. I want to do things right the first time and see the joy of making the path brighter for my kids.
My children are very loving. The moment I say I want to give them love, no matter how mad or frusterated they are, they will race to my arms and melt with every kiss. This is the tactic I decided to do today in the mother's lounge. It was just Jules and I, rocking back and forth in the rocking chair, as I carressed her face as if she was a newborn. I told her how much I loved her and loved seeing her smile with her eyes and lips. It was an instant fix. It was brillant. She spent 10 minutes enjoying this one on one time with mommy and was perfect for the rest of the meeting. I want to record this moment only for the main fact is that when the going gets rough, the love needs to be there ALWAYS! It is the ulitimate cure!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

And what a wonderful Mother YOU ARE!

Amy Beatty said...

Kim, you are such a good mommy. And thanks for sharing, I'm going to try that!!

joylyn said...

That is a wonderful experience. You two both looked happy when I saw you coming out of the mother's room. I had a similar experience with Landon after church while we waited for Aaron. He was pretty much out of control and I was exhausted, I was trying to force him to sit on a chair when I thought - what kind of a mom do I want to be. Then I switched to holding him and singing him primary songs. It worked. It is amazing the power of love to a child. I just wish I could remember to be like that more often.

Who That Be That Is said...

WOW! Amazing job momma kim! I will have to remember that. But I am sure it is a lot harder than it sounds! SO way to go!

Michelle and Nathan said...

Wow! What a great reminder! I think that most of the time the kids aren't being tested--we are. You handled it perfectly.