Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ponder this one...

You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to correct the mistake?

Sean and I had a DATE DAY! I feel like we needed some major reconnecting, so I got an idea from a great friend of mine about having questions to ask to each other in the car while we were traveling to spark up some conversation. Sean and I are very comfy with each other and sometimes the conversations get a little stale. So, I got on the internet to come up with some questions. We had a great time asking each other what ifs and would yous. One question we had though made me think twice though. I really felt like at first that I would not be able to give up my baby or should I say someone else's baby if I found out it wasn't mine after all. I think of my little Lyla and coming to realize that she was someone else's. How would I just stop loving her and worst have to give her to someone else. Would I have the same connection with the baby that was genitically mine even if I missed the first year of their life. Sean brought up the point that the baby would be fine and they would want to be with their own flesh and blood. He also said that he would want his own child without any hesitation. It just makes me wonder how that would feel. It was a good topic of conversaiton. It is a good thing that I have cookie cutter children. No mistaking that they are mine. It was a just a more realistic dilemma considering it does happen to people. It definitly made me think about it. I recommend this question to all who needs a little spice up in their marriage. It made for some fun topics of conversation that I think every marriage of 8+ years or more needs. But I do think Sean was worn out from all the talking. He came straight home and went to bed. He is snoring so loudly I can hear him through the walls. Poor guy. Talking to his wife can be sucb a workout.

3 comments:

kristin said...

Doug and I did something like this a couple of years ago. It was fun!!! Nothing as in depth as this, but fun little questions about things we did and thought while we were dating and such. This question gives me thought however? That would definitely be hard!!

adamemilybowman said...

That is one good thing about homebirth there are no other babies to mix yours up with. :)

rebekahmott said...

Yeah I asked Eric this question to see what he would say. Well first it was is this the what IF game again? (Bla look). He said that he would give them back because it would be best, then he said what if the child you were giving up was healthy and the child you are getting back is not so healthy. So the conversation stared.