Saturday, May 9, 2009

Sleeping Habits of My Three Musketeers!

Sleep. It is what all of us cherish, but the life of a new momma it seems like a luxury in life we can not afford. It comes in small doses and when received it is just what the doctor ordered to sanity and a clear mind. My children have thrown me in all different directions when it comes to getting a little shut eye. They have sleeping patterns that really resemble their personalities in life.
My first born, Elijah was premature. He had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks to make sure that he was o.k. In that short time, he was forced to eat every two hours. Even when he was soundly sleeping, he had to wake up to eat to make sure he was growing big and strong so he can escape the walls of that special needs nursery. Well, sleeping habits were strongly formed in that time and when he got home, those 2 hour intervals came home with him. I got up every two to three hours to feed him. It was exhausting, but since he was my first, I didn't know any different. I went through the motions of that same schedule for months to come. They say bad habits die hard, and boy did they ever. The one great thing about Elijah is that he slept like a champ during the day, but by night fall he was on that same schedule of every 2 hours. Elijah first slept through the night around a year.
Julianna was a little different. Since she was healthy, I did not bother to wake her up to feed her. I got a couple more hours at a time with her, but never had a full night of blissful sleep. I remember trying to get her to sleep through the night by having her cry it out. Those had to be the hardest times as a mom. Your heart hurts to hear them crying out to you and you just want to go get them. My hubby had to pin me down at times to keep me from going to rescue her. I had nights of just doubting my skills and I am surprised that my hair didn't fall out in result. Julianna has been one of those kids that when it is good it is really good and when it is bad well, you know the rest. She is my mover and shaker and is not a good bed buddy. She always wants to sleep with us, but I will not allow it. Once you give her an inch, she takes a mile. She is not the most restful of sleepers. I will at times hear her cry out in terror in the middle of the night. You just wonder what is haunting that little mind. She stopped taking naps much earlier than Elijah as well. She has been interesting to raise in the sleeping arena.
Last, but certainly not least is my little Lyla. Now, it is a little soon to tell, but I would like to brag a little. They say three times a charm. Well, that saying could not be any more true in Lyla's sleeping habits. Just 2 nights ago, I put her down at 11:00 which is when I usually go down for the evening. Previous nights she had been waking up around 3:00 or 3:30 to eat and that is what I was expecting. When she started stirring, I almost didn't look at the clock because I thought that is what time it was. Well, I looked and had to do a triple take. It can't be. It was 5:30 am. I was elated. I felt rested and refreshed which is a foriegn feeling for a mother of a newborn. I woke up Sean to tell him the good news. I told my mom the good news and she told me to not get used to it so to speak.(thanks for your optmisim). Well, I put her to bed last night to wake up at 6:30 this morning. If this is the new schedule of my last, I am one happy momma. I feel refreshed when I wake up which has in return made me much more patient with my other kids. I want to thank Lyla for instilling the belief that it can be done. I now believe the people who told me that their baby slept through the night at 6 weeks. I will no longer resent you silently but join that amazing club.

It took a couple to finally get it right. But, gosh don't they look like angels when they shut those eyes!



My Sleeping Beauty

2 comments:

kristin said...

Sleep makes all the difference! Maybe she's going to be an easy child too!

Julia said...

I hope she keeps it up for you! Sleep is so taken for granted when you have and so dearly missed when you don't!