Friday, March 20, 2009

Watch out for the KNOW IT ALL GRANDMA!

I go to Chick Fil-A today and I was in the little play area. I was having a hard time being in there because it is a small room and alot of stimulation from kids screaming. I am only getting bigger so it felt very claustrophobic already. Well, there was this lady sitting on the other bench and kept talking about herself and her kids and grandkids. Elijah had a toy that he got from school that day and he kept throwing it up the slide. I told him repeatly not to do it and he just wasn't getting it. So, I was losing patience when he threw the toy down the slide and I retrieved it and put it in my purse. He came down and was looking for it when I told him that he was not getting it until we leave. He started to get upset and I repeated that he was not listening and he had to deal with it. Well, out of nowhere, this woman piped in and I quote, "Elijah, you know why they don't allow kids to bring toys in here is because it can hurt someone else." Elijah was trying to explain himself and then got upset and ran out of the playplace. I sat there in disbelief at this woman. I ran out and talked to Elijah and explained again why I did what I did and then finished it off with " that woman had no right to talk to you about that. That is mommy's job." He went back in without any other issues and I came in with my ears burning from holding back a world of words that I had to fight back from saying to this Know it all Grandma.
Biggest Pet Peeve. Discipline my children when I am sitting right there. Do you not think that I can't address my own kids. It was a major annoyance. But, I am glad I did not overreact because I do not want to be someone who is confortational. But, I was close. I just wish people would allow others to parent their own children. I mean we carry them in our womb for 9 months. I think we should have the privelege of displining them instead of some stranger sitting in Chick Fil-A.

3 comments:

kristin said...

What's up with you and the crazy people at stores! It's like you have radar for the nosy!
I echo everything you just said. The gall of some people- maybe she was just trying to help you out? I don't know. That's just nonsense. Avoid Costco and Chick Fil A for a while.

Ms. Natalie said...

Say the word and I'll whack her for you.

The Riddle Family said...

I love that she called Elijah by name like she knew you guys or something! Way to keep your cool and go back in and play. I would have got mad and left!