Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Sweet Little Lyla Rose is finally here!!




Lyla Rose
8 lbs 3 oz
21 1/2 inches
March 26th @ 11:55 p.m.




I find it so interesting the way things happen sometimes. I know Heavenly Father has a sense of humor the way that my little bundle arrived in this world. I am so glad I blogged what I did the day of my due date because it really makes what happened all that much more real. So, most of my close friends have heard the way everything came to be but for Lyla's history and for personal reasons, I want to document it the way it happened.
So, I woke up the day before my due date with major contractions. I thought that was it. I am in labor. I went to Sean and told him that I was sure that I was in labor. I waited around to see if they were coming regularly and they were pretty powerful. So, at 3:00 in the morning we traveled again to Roseville Kaiser (we got to know the place well since I had two false alarms previous to this time) and went to try to see if this was the final and last time. Once we got there, it seemed like all the pain came to a crashing halt and I felt like I was going to die. I knew this was another false alarm and I was getting so tired of all the junk I was putting Sean and I through. They told me that I was at a 3 but my contractions were not strong enough to warrant Labor. I left the place swearing that I would never actually go into labor and gave one last cry in the car and sighned myself up to getting induced a week after my due date because I was convinced I would not actually not go into labor on my own. Well, my last post was written in a tired and pessimistic state of mind. I decided after that event I had to be ok with whatever happens. I had decided to go to the zoo with my in-laws to keep my mind off of being on my due date and be with people who love me and don't put pressure on me. So, we had a great day at the park even though I was totally sleep deprived. After the zoo, I went and got Sean from work and we went out to dinner with the kids. Sean and I were both zombies and I knew I only had enough energy to watch the results show of Idol and then off to bed I was going to go. That is exactly what happened. We got in front of the T.V and Sean fell asleep almost instantly. At 9:15, I woke up Sean to go to bed. We both got into bed to say our prayers. It was Sean's turn. He talked about my due date and how thankful he was to have Lyla come into our family. Right after he said we can't wait to see her, I felt a huge boom in my belly as if someone punched my in the gut. I expressed my discomfort with a big OWWW! Then with that, fluid ran down my leg. I couldn't believe it. I said to Sean, "My water just broke." He looked at me with pain in his eyes and said, " You are kidding me." I told him I wasn't. We were both so tired and did not want to spend any more time traveling to Roseville and even considered going to South Sacramento because it was closer. I thought maybe I could catch a couple of hours because with Elijah my water broke and I had time to waste. I wasn't even in labor so I thought I had time. Well, it was not the way it went down with Lyla. The contractions were on every 3 minutes and they were intense. We went to Roseville for a final time with very little time to spare. I thougtht I was going to have the baby right there in our blue Mirage. When we arrived at the hospital, I was not able to walk. Sean went to retrieve a wheelchair and wheel me in the labor and delivery. I was in such deep pain, but it was so gratifying to go in there knowing that I was not going to be turned down this time. They asked me for a urine sample which I thought was pretty funny considering I couldn't even stand up or if I had any urine in all the fluid I was dispensing. Well, I tried to go, but once I got in the bathroom, the flood gates opened and my water officially broke for real all over the floor. I was in deep pain so they got me in triage and I was thinking I wouldn't even make it to a room. I thought, " I have been here so many times in this blasted room hoping to cross the threshold of an actual room and I am going to deliver in this room I have come to hate so much." I kept warning them that I go from a 4 to a 10 in a matter of seconds so they have got to get me in a room as soon as possible. I think they believed me because they moved me pretty quickly after that and I was finally in a room. It was so nice and spacious. We didn't get to really enjoy it like some others have. The rooms were huge. Once we got in there, the nurses moved fast trying to give me antibiotics for the Group B Strep that I had been infected with. They had to give me a dose of antibiotics before delivery and were barely able to give to me before the real pressure started to come. I couldn't deal with it. I wanted that baby out of me. So, I started to push. 5 or 6 long strenous pushes and Lyla was here. I looked the clock when I got in there. It was 11:30. I thought to myself, " Am I going to be able to deliver this baby on my actual due date?" I didn't know, but I thought I had a good shot. Well, I she was born at 11:55 with 5 minutes to spare. I was so happy. It is not very often you can have the baby on the actual due date. It was also on my good friend's Jazzer's birthday. All in all, I was thrilled to be done and not be pregnant anymore.

There is one thing for sure, this little one has got a great set of pipes. One of the many things she shares with her sister!

I swear this girl knows how to smile already. It is so cute.


Such joy on my face only says one thing...Yes, I am not pregnant anymore.



I don't know who is happier that I am not preggers anymore, Sean or I. He was a good sport with no sleep and 3 trips to Roseville only to come home empty handed. Not anymore. We finally got our prize!




One look at Lyla was amazing. I was happy that she was a healthy 8 pounds 3 ounces and 21 1/2 inches. She is a great nurser and she is calm (for now). She has already brought our family so much happiness to her older sister. It was the cutest to see Jules holding her. She is in hog heaven. I know they will be good friends.

The first thing that Jules said was, " Mommy, your baby popped out." She was so excited to hold her.

My 3 beautiful children! Who would have known I would have cookie cutter kids.



I didn't expect to be so happy getting up in the middle of the night to feed her, but every moment spent with her is pure bliss. Maybe because I know that this baby is the last I am going to have. I know people say that I will change my mind, but I want everyone to know that Lyla is my last child I am going to have. I feel very at peace with that decision. I am happy that she is my baby and that I can dedicate every moment knowing that phase will be the last time I will go through it. It has already done wonders to my parenting. I appriciate every moment where if I thought I would have another, I might not feel that way. I am very content and feel very blessed to have had 3 healthy children. How lucky am I. Heavenly Father has truly been good to me and I hope that I can be a great mother to my 3 adorable children. There is no greater happiness in this world.

Grandma Marcia and Claudia. Lyla, you are so lucky to have these amazing woman to be your grandmothers. I feel so blessed that they were both very available to me during this time and I want to say a big fat THANK YOU!!!!

The new and improved Smith Family 2009

Wow, was I ever glad to get home. But to reach such a warm welcome did my heart some good. I love my family.

12 comments:

Francais Frit said...

Yippeeee!! What good news! So happy for all of you! So many smiles everywhere- don't you love what babies can do!? So magical that process.

erin said...

YEAH!!!! I'm so excited for you! She is a beautiful little thing! I love that she's smiling already! And what a great story! Best of luck getting some rest and recovering!!!

rebekahmott said...

Kim this was a great blog. Very very sweet. Lyla is a pretty pretty little girl! It is nice that she has some great parents and brother and sister. You did good!!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I loved reading that you are happy to get up with her in the middle of the night and that she is a good nurser...that gives me hope for the future! ;)

The 4 of Us said...

Congrats!

Martha said...

What wonderful photos! You are blessed. Your children couldnt be cuter. Lyla already smiling, too precious. Love you,xo

Lindsay said...

I swear you have the cutest family!!!!!! I really have a lot to live up to!

Jodi and Jordan Rowell said...

Congratulations!!! She is adorable. I can't wait to hold her. I love you all!

valerie said...

Oh yeah!!!! We were in Palm Spring this last week...and I kept thinking...I know Kim is going to have that baby! I was so excited to return home tonight and see the wonderful news of yet another blessing from the Lord. Yeah!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more details. Love you lots friend!

Amy Beatty said...

Kim she is the cutest baby ever. I loved reading the story. You tell it so perfectly. I love all the pictures!!! You look like the happiest mom alive, I love it. Wish I had a picture like that. So priceless! You and sean have been so blessed, and I'm so glad you guys are part of my family and I get to have that big beautiful moose of a baby as my niece. She is so cute and chunky. I can't believe she already has the little chub of fat in her armpit!!! I love her so much. Love you Kim. Talk to you soon! xoxoxo

mattbeatty said...

How exciting--congratulations you guys--especially to you Kim, you're such a trooper!

JoshFez said...

Congrats Kim!!! You all look so beautiful!