Monday, October 18, 2010

When one door closes...

Well, tomorrow marks one week since the day that changed our lives. It has been jam packed with events that will go down in Smith History. I am really honestly grateful for what happened. Bad things happen. Our former Bishop's wife got up and bore her testimony on Sunday and she expressed how when her husband was serving as bishop, they experienced so many trials. They too lived through a year of unemployment, a biking accident, grandchild with a physical ailment, loss of a father, and other health issues without health insurance. It was amazing to see her testimony beam through all the trials she had lived through. It made me realize that even when we have callings and are asked to sacrifice so much, we are not above the trials. It is the trials that actually make us better leaders. Sean will now be able to relate with anyone who has lost a job. He will be an instrument for good by this experience.
The day that Sean got laid off, he got a call at the very same moment from the company that he applied to a week before. It was literally one door opening as the other one was being slammed in his face. He called everyday after that day to make sure it wasn't given to anyone else. We did not hear back and yesterday, I was so frustrated. I couldn't believe that because Sean didn't answer that phone call, the opportunity just passed him by. As I came home today, I asked Sean what he did with his spare kid free 3 hours, he informed me that he went to the river and had a moment alone to pray vocally. He came home and called again and actually talked to the lady that we were trying to get a hold of last week. He has a telephone interview on Friday!! I am not getting my hopes up (well, maybe a little). I am grateful that he was persistent and didn't get frustrated and move on. I don't know what will happen on Friday, but I am so proud of Sean for letting the Lord be his guide.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hoping for the best!!! xoxo

shaleen said...

Hey Kim,

I know what you are going through! I have been there. Your faith is strong so you will get through this. I know you are trying to be strong and that is to be commended but I know when everything is still and you have time to think sometimes panic sets in. If you don't mind I would like to share with you and your hubby what got us through a similar trial.

Read Mosiah 24. Verses 14 and 15 really hit me the hardest as I put my name in those scriptures and really felt the promise from the Lord in my own situation. This I know, the Lord will ease this burden so that you will not be able to feel it on your back. He may not take the trial away as quickly as you would like but he will make your back and mind strong so you can learn and grow from this trial. I know this to be TRUE. I am thankful for His grace and mercy on me and my family. We have never gone without and it is because of the gospel and the church. Your family is loved and let those around you serve you as much as they will because the time will come when you will be there for someone else that needs help.

We love you guys.

The Cartwrights

Amy Beatty said...

woot woot! go sseany go. Matt has always told me that he got his first job by bugging them to death, calling and asking, they didn't even have a chance to think of someone else. So Matt landed his first job at the movie theater. Hey, you got to start somewhere. Love you guys and I'm totally loving this awesome feeling I get when I read your blog. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kim and Sean...love to you both. I am hoping for the best. You two are so strong. It is in these times we grow even stronger through the Lord. Hgs and kisses!