Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kid's Gone Wild

I was hesitant if I should blog about this, but I felt that it was necessary to do so just for record keeping sake. I want my kids to know what happens when they are left to their own devices for a couple of hours.
This morning I wanted to sleep. I had to get up every day this week for something and today I had the opportunity to just lay in my bed with no where to go, well at least for a couple of hours. My children have a really bad habit of waking up before they should. Like six o clock which to me us obscene. Especially if you don't have to go anywhere! I feel the real reason they wake up early is so they can take Sean or I's phone and watch Netflix on it for a good hour before we even know it is missing. So, the night before I decided to hide all the phones, computer and playstation, so they could not watch anything in hopes they would just go back to sleep out of sheer boredom. Well, that is not how it panned out unfortunately.
Elijah was the first to sneak around the room. When I opened my eyes, I saw him sneaking around trying to find Sean's phone. I told him to go back to sleep. He scurried out of the room empty handed. Not even a couple of minutes later to find Jules doing the same. Relentless!! So, my patience was already spent, my voice got louder to get out of our room and back to bed. Lyla woke up 20 minutes later and they were all playing together nicely in thier room, which made me rest with ease. Sean left around nine to go to meetings and I still stayed in bed in hopes I can rest for my Sabbath day. Well, I must have dozed off pretty soundly to only wake up to Elijah saying Lyla got into the cereal and was making a mess, I didn't take him seriously at this time because the bed felt way to good. I could clean it up when I got up. Well, I finally got out of bed at 10:30 to see what layed in store for me. I stopped in mid step to find a rice crispy trail all the way to my room to the kitchen. When I got to the kitchen, I saw Lyla on the counter with red all over her face and the counter. It was medicine that she had gotten into. How she opened it, I am still scratching my head on that one. When I grabbed her and took her off the counter, I looked in the family room to see a mountain of Rice Krispies in four spots. It was like the room threw up Rice Crispies. I wanted to throw up myself to know that I have neglected my children to this extreme and now I am going to pay the dues. It took me 1 hour to clean up the damage and on an empty stomach from fasting, was not the way I wanted to spend my sabbath day. I know that I had only myself to blame. It was a hard pill to swallow.
The up side?? Knowing that my kids would not starve if left by themselves. They would probably be able to stay alive for quite a while.
If you are wondering if Lyla overdosed on the medicine, there was more on her face and the counter than I think went inside. Messy Red Triamanic!
Lesson learned. Kimberly was very humbled!!

2 comments:

kristin said...

Oh Kim, I have had those moments too!

Michelle and Nathan said...

We've all been there. It can happen when you're on a phone call--not even for something as valuable as sleep! Caleb once painted himself and the kitchen floor while the rest of us were oblivious in the living room!