Saturday, October 10, 2009

Code Yellow

I am so excited that the new Target is open only 7 minutes to where I live. I have been waiting since last year for it's revamp and now it is here and glorious, I might add. Groceries and all. Well, I went to go see it's new perks and whistles and of course took my kiddos. I was meeting up with a friend to go pick out a baby shower gift. We were on our way to the front when I remembered I wanted a new necklace and my friend was taking Elijah to switch out something in the toy bins in the front, so she took the two older ones there while I looked around with my baby. Well, it wasn't 5 minutes later when I heard my friend yelling Julianna's name. I got a pang of panic and came to realize that my daughter had VANISHED! I know my daughter very well. I have to usually put her in the cart because she is fast and likes to touch everything. So, I started to walk around the area where she was last seen and the sales girl in the front realized the fear in my eyes. She got the manager to talk to me and he had his walkie talkie in his hand. CODE YELLOW, CODE YELLOW! He started asking me what she was wearing and what hair color she had. In the panic, I drew a blank. What was she wearing? I knew in my heart of hearts, I was going to find her, but you wonder sometimes, is this the day where the rest of my life changes? I was more worried that she ran outside. So, my friend instantly went outside and I followed the guy all around the store with echoes of Code Yellow ringing in my ears. All of a sudden, a girl that didn't work there saw the commotion and said she said she saw a girl with blonde hair and a green shirt running down the aisle. We bee lined it in that direction and made it to the back of the store when she was with a target employee. She saw me and ran as fast as she could and was crying. I held her tight and realized how happy I was that Target was so on the ball. They got right on it and found her for me. I was so happy that I didn't even get that mad that she ran off. But, I did make her realize how bad she was to run off that she didn't get the bubbles we picked out in the beginning of our shopping trip. But like any kid, I think the lesson was learned with the fear that I always warned her about if she ran off. I think that is all it took. She won't be walking outside the cart for a long time.

7 comments:

rebekahmott said...

Oh I feel for you. I am glad that she was found and that it made an impression. I am glad that others were there to help you to. All is safe with the Smiths. Man I don't like being that scared.

Liz Fisher said...

I was at a Target store once and when a mom had lost her child they did nothing-I repeat, nothing. I was so mad. I helped the mom and we found her daughter after a few minutes. I am so glad Target is stepping it up a notch. Good for them. And good for you!

Julia said...

It was so fun to see you (you look great) today! I"m glad that we can keep in touch through the blogs :)

Target rocks!

Francais Frit said...

If only they had PlayCare there. Could you imagine????

Glory Watts said...

Oh, how I love Target! We have a Super Target only a couple minutes away so I know the joys ;). That is so scary when you don't know where your child is, even if it is just for a few minutes, it's the not knowing that's so scary. I think you're right though, kids just need a little scare like that and they won't want to run off again. Way to go Code Yellow!

Lindsay said...

SCARY! I think every parent and every child remember a time when this happened to them. Praise TARGET! (on so many levels)

shaleen said...

Kim,
You are such a great mother!! I hope you know that. There are so many parents in the world today that can't hold there child for one reason or another. I remember that when I get frustrated with my children.

I love reading all of your great family experinces. I need to start writing mine down. Hope you guys have a Happy Halloween. Check out my blog when you get a second.

Where is the new Target??