Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Music does really heal the soul...

I was walking this morning in the park with Julianna. It was a beautiful morning and I was really searching for some peace in my mind and heart. I had my Ipod on shuffling through the music. I usually am so into my workout that I never really focus on the lyrics, but a song came on from Sugarland that seemed to scream out to me to listen closely. I am a huge believer that music can heal and tell you that everything is going to be ok. I was really touched by the second verse. It was almost like she was singing about my life. Tears came to my eyes as I have been in a very hard place in my life, unsure and unsettled, but this song made me realize that these times will pass and that I will be o.k. I wanted to share the verses that changed my frame of mind.

These Are the Days
by
Sugarland

Well, it feels like we're living from paycheck to check
And we wake up wondering what might happen next Yeah, sometimes it feels like we won't make it through But the hard times pass like the good ones do Baby, wrap your fingers and hold on tight I'll be right here beside you tonight Baby, climb up here, watch the city glow Let's make a wish on the fireworks below We're making moments we won't forget We fill in ones that haven't happened yet Whooa, whooa, whooa, whooa, whooa We can't forget these are the days Whooooa, whoooa, whoooa, don't be afraid We can't forget these are the days Whooooa, whoooa, whoooa, don't be afraid We can't forget these are the days
I don't know if the Lord knew that I needed to hear that to help me through, but it just goes to show that he knows us personally and knows exactly what words and how those words are translated to give you comfort when you need it the most. Even though I still feel discouraged in my life right now, I feel loved by my Heavenly Father. I know he loves me so much and that he wants to see me througth this moment in my life.
The last song that I heard before I ended my walk was Come, Come ye Saints. Another song that shows that if the pioneers could suffer all that they did to give us the precious gospel, I surely can go through the trials that I have. Not that it makes it any easier, but I have strength in my heart knowing that the Lord will see me through as he did his children in the past. For that knowledge, I am eternally grateful.




5 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

That brought tears to my eyes too, just from reading it. I love your strength and testimony. Everything will be alright Kim. The worst thing that can happen are really only temporal. But, you are of his fold and he will and does bless you everyday. maybe you should watch your kids dancing again, just to see how wonderful you do have it. I'm sorry you are in such a tight spot. But like you said the lord does know you, he knows what you, his daughter can handle. I do remember a while back when we would take turns giving FHE lessons at mom and dads and you gave one on trails. Your lesson has stayed with me, because you put into words that were easy to understand and rang true to my heart. You said our trails are tailored made for us. And that alone should give us the strength we need. Sorry, I feel like I'm no help at all. Just know I love you along with everyone else in your life. And that your post has touched me. Love you xo

kristin said...

I so agree with you on how music can touch us so deeply. You can usually gauge my mood by what songs I'm playing on the piano. I actually love those lyrics!
Whatever it is you're going through I hope that you'll see the end soon. It's easy to see the amazing in others and so hard to see it in ourselves, but I want you to know that I DO see the amazing in you. The crazy thing with the trials in our lives is that, if we do more than endure them, they make us better people. Some of the best things I have learned about myself have been from the hardest things I have gone through. How I wish it wasn't so! Why can't we just learn from the good all the time right? Ahhh, no growth.
Hang in there. I think SO MUCH of you.

Glory Watts said...

It is never easy to go through hard times, you never no how long they're going to last. It always seems that the trail will last forever and that we'll never be able to endure it. I too am very inspired by music when going through hard times. The song you wrote down was a great one. It's true though, these ARE the days, you WILL look back with fondness and also thanksgiving. One of my personal favorites while going through difficult times is the hymn, "Lead Kindly Light" I would play it all the time on the piano and it would fill me with the spirit and give me hope and peace of mind. As I read your post I immediatly thought of the last scripture stated in this months visiting teaching message. It's D&C 78:18, it states, "Be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours". I love you Kim. I wish I lived closer so that I could come and get my hair done, and we could have one of our mini counseling sessions ;) "That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Love ya! Call anytime!

Kelley said...

Kimmy:
1. nice post
2. love the blog redesign
3. CONGRATS on baby #3!!!
4. you have, like, really spiritual, supportive friends who left comments. lucky you.

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

One of my favorite quotes is from C.S. Lewis. He said: “Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew these jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not make seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house than the one you thought of- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace.”
This thought has really helped me through some times when I felt hopeless and helpless.
You have the most beautiful spirit, Kim. I have known this since we served in Dickson. You are very strong. Take heart, take courage, and take comfort. I sure love your guts!