Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Half Dome, here I come!


I have been married to Sean for nine years and every year his family would go camping in Yosemite. We always hiked with his family and in the beginning I hated it. I couldn't understand that people do this for fun! But, nine splendid years later, I am finally ready to head up to the beast of Half Dome which is a 17 mile hike all up hill and with cables! Sean has gone and loved it, so I am going to go with a couple of ladies I met a couple of years ago in Park City. I am not really nervous. I feel like I will be able to do it, but that whole cable thing, I feel a little sick about. I just hope I am alive to tell the tale! Can't wait to spend the day in nature and hopefully get some much needed pondering and alone time. Solitude is what I seek! Solitude with a lot of steps! What do they say?? The joy is in the journey! Here's hoping!!

Half Dome is a granite dome in Yosemite National Park, located in northeastern Mariposa County, California, at the eastern end of Yosemite Valley — possibly Yosemite's most familiar rock formation. The granite crest rises more than 4,737 ft (1,444 m) above the valley floor.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I did half dome before and it is pretty intense, but definately something you can handle! Good luck!

Amy Beatty said...

lucky!!! take lots of pics and hope you run into a marmot :)

kristin said...

I'm planning on climbing it with a bunch of friends next may. I'm starting to work out again so I'm not the last one:) Those cables scare me too! Doug videoed it when they climbed a couple of months ago. I agree with you- it looks treacherous:) You'll do awesome though!! Take a camel pack and some protein bars and you'll be okay. Have fun!! And it was good seeing you at Costco the other day!

The Fishers said...

Um, yeah, that's not for me. Brent's family has done it and I just don't see the fun in that. Good luck and talk to Nicole for some pointers. She's awesome and climbed it last year.